[Noisebridge-discuss] Robby

Callme Whatiwant nejucomo at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 23:42:08 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 1:28 AM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:

> I just want to say that, while i was not at last weeks meeting and only
> heard about it through the internet, I feel strongly that Leif's outburst
> was 100% warranted and excellent, and I appreciate that he did it.
>
> Leif said what needed to be said, in the way it needed to be said, and I
> think we should all thank him for that.

I would personally amend that by replacing "in the way it needed to be
said" with "in the manner he did", but otherwise keep the same sentence.

> One of these days a real rain will come, and wash noisebridge clean, but
> until that day we need to be ready to tell some people to GTFO once in a
> while.

I have to say, this kind of language troubles me.  Think about the exact
same words except replace "noisebridge" with any number of alternatives, in
other social contexts.  Is this really a message you want to spread?

I understand there is extreme frustration with the "excellence drought".
 But all the language of getting rid of "them" and "only real hackers blah
blah" and "let's lock the gate a new 15th way so that only the super l33t
Members..." is really getting to me.

I know!  I'll actually start coming to the space and dealing with the
less-community-aware individuals for N hours a week and see how many
days/weeks before I start using the same language.

/me dismounts high horse.

> speaking of which, Tony Longshanks claims that he and others are going to
> storm noisebridge and take back their "right" to be there.

Bleah.  Is there a consensually distributed public picture online or around
the space I can use to associate physical appearance with mailing list
presence?

-jake

Nathan