[Noisebridge-discuss] Thoughts on establishing commitment to NB

Patrick Lake pat at patsanimation.com
Tue Jun 4 00:15:58 UTC 2013

Hi list,

It's been quite a while since I've posted or spent much time at the place, but I lurk.  Please let me suggest 2 modest possibilities to help your problem of establishing who's excellent and who isn't.

1. Time cards? ID's?  No, T-shirts.  Wear your Noisebridge shirt.  Those without shirts may be asked to leave as non-members or buy a shirt.  Those who can't cooperate or remember to wear with each visit, may not be there for hack-related work.  It's the easiest possible ID I could possibly think of.  Allow 1 free visit, and ask them to buy a shirt on the way out if they want to return.  Shirts are cheap, even a $15 threshold for entry is close to nothing. For the very indigent who show commitment to the place, let them benefit from generosity of donations to some small fund.

2.  Chore list.  Ask visitors to do 1 chore per visit if they're staying more than a few hours. Have them sign the list or get it verified by a member.  Very easy stuff- take out 1 trash can, whatever.  Maybe put values on them, like, cleaning the bathroom earns a week of visits.

Perhaps these could make easy reasons to kick out non-cooperators, besides fighting or doing drugs.  If a visitor refuses to do simple stuff like that, they may be up to no good.

- Pat