[Noisebridge-discuss] Thoughts on establishing commitment to NB

Jake jake at spaz.org
Tue Jun 4 09:21:42 UTC 2013

LOL!  Patrick do you not realize that the most commonly stolen item at
noisebridge are the "free" t-shirts?

I regularly see people on the street or sleeping at noisebridge
(apparently homeless) who ditched their previous dirty shirt to change
into a nice clean Noisebridge t-shirt.

As if that weren't bad enough, i KNOW people steal money from both the
t-shirt donation box and the noisebridge donation box.  We don't empty
them nearly often enough and really, it's pretty pathetic how poor our
cashbox security is considering we're supposed to be hackers.

-jake

Patrick Lake wrote:
Hi list,

It's been quite a while since I've posted or spent much time at the place,
but I lurk.  Please let me suggest 2 modest possibilities to help your
problem of establishing who's excellent and who isn't.

1. Time cards? ID's?  No, T-shirts.  Wear your Noisebridge shirt.  Those
without shirts may be asked to leave as non-members or buy a shirt.  Those
who can't cooperate or remember to wear with each visit, may not be there
for hack-related work.  It's the easiest possible ID I could possibly
think of.  Allow 1 free visit, and ask them to buy a shirt on the way out
if they want to return.  Shirts are cheap, even a $15 threshold for entry
is close to nothing. For the very indigent who show commitment to the
place, let them benefit from generosity of donations to some small fund.

2.  Chore list.  Ask visitors to do 1 chore per visit if they're staying
more than a few hours. Have them sign the list or get it verified by a
member.  Very easy stuff- take out 1 trash can, whatever.  Maybe put
values on them, like, cleaning the bathroom earns a week of visits.

Perhaps these could make easy reasons to kick out non-cooperators, besides
fighting or doing drugs.  If a visitor refuses to do simple stuff like
that, they may be up to no good.

- Pat