[Noisebridge-discuss] learning vs getting shit done

Josh Juran jjuran at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 02:09:06 UTC 2013

On Jun 4, 2013, at 1:26 PM, Daniel Pitts wrote:

> To put it another way, the only reason I would pay to be a member
> would be to have an environment to share my ideas and learn from
> others.

This for me has been the main benefit of coming by Noisebridge.  I
currently have four computers that I develop on (of which two are
laptops), so being at Noisebridge means I have access to fewer, not
more resources than I normally do.  And interference is an issue:  If
I'm working on something that requires minimal distractions, I'll do
it at home.  I don't come to Noisebridge to do work (mostly), but to
share it -- both formally, in articles and lightning talks, and
informally in conversations with people.  Getting practice giving
demos has been especially valuable, and the feedback is useful as well.

> If I frequented the space as anything but a paying member, then I
> personally would be doubly grateful for having a space and material
> to work for free and people to socialize with.

And sometimes I just socialize. :-)

[inline comments continue below]

>>     On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 6:40 PM, Dan Cote
>>     <terminationshok at gmail.com <mailto:terminationshok at gmail.com>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>         I wouldn't mind having a slightly more serious working area,
>>         physically separate from the rest of the space. I'm thinking
>>         of a coffee shop style area. Anyone care to start an rfc for
>>         such an area? Is there a pattern for starting RFCs on the
>> wiki?

A physically separate space sounds intriguing.  It would give us a
chance to try different protocols without affecting 2169.

>>         On Jun 1, 2013 9:32 AM, "Robert "Finny" Merrill"
>>         <rfmerrill at berkeley.edu <mailto:rfmerrill at berkeley.edu>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>             So one of the primary complaints that people have
>> about NB
>>             is that you
>>             can't get work done without people coming up to you and
>>             asking you
>>             tons of questions about what you're doing.

I haven't had this complaint myself; perhaps I'm overeager to discuss
my work.  On one occasion recently, a visitor was engaging in
undesired conversation, so I put on my headphones, which works both
as an audio shield and a 'Don't bother me' signal.

Josh