[Noisebridge-discuss] "resisting sexual harassment and sexual assault"

Liz Henry lizhenry at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 08:08:06 UTC 2013

Johnny, this whole section does not make sense to me as a response to my
original email. You say,

>>>But, your plan, to run a talk entitled "resisting sexual harassment and
sexual assault" does nothing to engage women and men TOGETHER in a mutual
discourse, or to develop mature communication by men, toward women, or to
promote awareness of these issues among men, or to engage men in the
process of social growth. It does nothing to promote social growth at all.
* Therefor, i suggest involving men in some way in this activity. For
example, could be a men's workshop on "understand people's boundaries". Or
perhaps you could add a session on "promoting better communication between
men and women". Also, i suggest a discussion-based workshop might promote
more participation than a 'talk'. * Apologies to our transgender friends
for the simplistic language. Anyone can be a victim of abuse, anyone can
perpetrate it.
<<<

Here is a link to my original email.  Please read it again.

https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2013-June/037374.html

You are objecting to what I said here:

I have invited representatives from SF-WAR to come speak at Noisebridge
some time in July on the topics of resisting sexual harassment and sexual
assault.   Will keep you all updated as to when this will happen!   These
training talks may give us good common ground for further discussion and
action.
<<<

Could you please explain how, from this innocuous paragraph, you got
to the assumption that the training does not include or involve anyone
of any genders?  I'm not seeing it.

I asked SF-WAR to do this because several men at Noisebridge have been asking
me, for months, to please provide some form of class, or workshop for anti-rape
and anti-harassment education for them and the community. I don't know how to
give such a class. I have been asking others to please take up this task, and
find good workshop presenters on the topic. The men who asked for the workshops
said they did not feel that, as men, they should be the ones to arrange such
a thing though I encouraged them to do it. Finally, I emailed a local
organization, filled out a form, and they agreed happily to set up two
workshops for free, pretty much any date we would like, in a flexible format
according to what we would like to happen.

I think your response to my email is very odd.  You seem to have a very
intense response to the idea of there being some sort of harassment prevention
workshop, and your response is based on many incorrect assumptions.
Please try to think
about why that might be the case, and what you are saying in your email. It
seems understandable that the idea of an outsider to the community coming
in to talk about a difficult topic causes you anxiety. But, as with any class
happening at Noisebridge, you are free to attend or not as you please, and also
if it does not meet your needs, there is a style of presentation or discussion
you want to see happen, you can make it happen, I am sure, given your history
as a successful event organizer.

Best,

Liz

Best,

Liz

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 7:35 PM, Johny Radio <johnyradio at gmail.com> wrote:

>  *Liz Henry* lizhenry at gmail.com
> <noisebridge-discuss%40lists.noisebridge.net?Subject=Re%3A%20%5BNoisebridge-discuss%5D%20Community%20actions%20and%20structure%20that%20helps%0A%09resist%20sexual%20violence&In-Reply-To=%3CCAGOx5cxA7OK8%2BhN7bXkv2pav%3D1%3DsKmE0vm1dUB63D5Cgw0T-sg%40mail.gmail.com%3E>
> *, Sat Jun 15 19:02:02 UTC 2013:*
>
> "I have invited representatives from SF-WAR to come speak at Noisebridge
> some time in July on the topics of resisting sexual harassment and sexual
> assault.   Will keep you all updated as to when this will happen!   These
> training talks may give us good common ground for further discussion and
> action."
>

> JR: Liz, thanks for doing this. I think this could be very helpful. I have
> volunteered for SF-WAR (Women Against Rape), because i am committed to
> working against abuse of women. From my application to WAR: "I am committed
> to ending sexual violence, and violence in all it's forms. As a straight
> male, who comes from a family of strong, powerful women, I feel men have a
> responsibility to understand the dynamics and history of sexual abuse."
>
> A couple observations about your plan:
>
>    - I feel the healthiest goal for the community is a PARTNERSHIP
>    between men and women, to achieve better communication and understanding. I
>    think it's essential for men to develop mature respect for women's
>    boundaries.
>     - But, your plan, to run a talk entitled "resisting sexual harassment
>    and sexual assault" does nothing to engage women and men TOGETHER in a
>    mutual discourse, or to develop mature communication by men, toward women,
>    or to promote awareness of these issues among men, or to engage men in the
>    process of social growth. It does nothing to promote social growth at all.
>     - Therefor, i suggest involving men in some way in this activity. For
>    example, could be a men's workshop on "understand people's boundaries". Or
>    perhaps you could add a session on "promoting better communication between
>    men and women". Also, i suggest a discussion-based workshop might promote
>    more participation than a 'talk'.
>     - Apologies to our transgender friends for the simplistic language.
>    Anyone can be a victim of abuse, anyone can perpetrate it.
>
> Best,
>  -JR
>

>  Johny Radio
>
>  Stick It In Your Ear!