[Noisebridge-discuss] File Host?

Peter Kaminski kaminski at istori.com
Thu Jun 20 21:03:09 UTC 2013

Yay Archive!

I thought I would mention that for a different community, I've been
using BitTorrent Sync
<http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync.html>for a similar
purpose.  It's sort of a p2p Dropbox.  You specify folders to sync, hand
out a key (a 32-character string, which specifies read/write, read-only,
or 24-hour access), and poof, it just works.

BT Sync has the downside that people have to install the client (free as
in beer, but not open), which runs on Linux/Mac/Windows (including some
Linux NAS devices; mobile apps are in alpha).  But the upside is that
it's super-simple to set up, and Just Works. It's fun to use.

I'm an Amazon EC2 geek, so along with my personal computer hosting the
files, I set up a spot micro Linux instance hosting the files, too, to
help get the community swarm started.  It's not free, but very cheap;
the nominal price has been $0.004/hour, and I set my maximum bid at
$0.01/hour.  It's pretty cheap for a few days or weeks (somewhere
between $0.67 and $1.68 per week), at which point hopefully more folks
in the community are hosting the files as well, and you can kill the
instance.

Pete