[Noisebridge-discuss] kitchen preparations

Mitchel McAllister xonimmortal at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 26 03:15:53 UTC 2013

How exactly do we take the kitchen out of the space temporarily.

I have a radical alternative to this suggestion: Those that make the mess clean up after themselves. If you can not clean up your own mess, then perhaps an adult environment such as Noisebridge is not for you. If you use dishes, pots, pans, etc. you do not leave until they are washed.

We (the people who do use the kitchen) have tried, on many occasions, to press the policy of "don't leave food on the counter". But no matter how many times we say this, people still dump food, leftovers, or garbage (onion peel, bits of lettuce, half a yam, bread crusts, an open container of yogurt) on the counter, drawing out the mice and the roaches.

Perhaps someone can explain to me how leaving your mess for other people to clean up is "being excellent". Believe it or not, there is no one in the space whose emotional or psychological well-being is based on whether they are cleaning up someone else's mess.

Jay spent several hours the other day washing dishes and cleaning the kitchen. The sink, counters, and floors were immaculate. When we came in the next day (less than 12 hours later), there was food and dishes all over the counter, two of the sinks were half full of dirty dishes, and there was garbage on the floor.

Getting rid of the kitchen, temporarily or not, does not solve the problem. The existence of the kitchen is not the problem. The existence of people who think they have a god-given right to shove their mess off at someone else is the problem. The existence of people who think counters, dishes and floors magically clean themselves is the problem.

And for the person suggesting trapping the mice, the existence of people who routinely disable mousetraps (because allegedly even a humane live-trap would cause so much trauma in mice that our karmic debt would rival that of Torquemada or Doctor Mengele) is the problem.

here's an easy step-by-step process:
- prepare food. While food is cooking, clean cutting boards, knives and other utensils used for prep work.
- when food is done, clean pots and utensils used to cook food. Sweep up anything dropped on the floor and wipe down the counters and stove-top.
- after you are done eating, wash plates or bowls and silverware.

It's a very simple process. It doesn't leave food and messes sitting around for half the day to attract mice and roaches. I seriously doubt anyone in the space is going to pass out from starvation if they have to wait four minutes to eat, because they are washing their dishes first.

Also: if you have time to eat at the space, you have time to clean up after yourself. I see a bunch of people dumping their dishes in the sink with the excuse "oh, no, I have to get to %place, %meeting, %bus-stop, RIGHT NOW." Guess what? Your poor time management does not obligate other people to clean up after you. No matter how late or rushed you are, it is not going to prevent mice and roaches from feeding on your mess.

- Reverend Mik McAllister
Purveyor of Subversive Fiction
http://www.prismandink.com
http://www.lunatextpublications.com