[Noisebridge-discuss] Concern with the "greeting" procedure.

Robert "Finny" Merrill rfmerrill at berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 26 13:53:09 UTC 2013

The point I'm trying to make is that attempting to judge whether an
unfamiliar person is "on drugs" is A) not really possible B)
unnecessary C) unfair.

It's not possible because there is nothing short of a chemical test
that will tell you with reasonable accuracy whether someone is under
the influence of drugs. Any externally visible sign or set of
externally visible signs has other causes.

It's not necessary because the negative behaviors that you're afraid
of are a perfectly good criterion on their own.

It's unfair because there are a lot of people out there who use drugs
(yes, even THOSE drugs) and don't exhibit unexcellent behavior as a
result. You just don't notice them as much as you notice the bad ones.

I have often been accused of being "on drugs" as a result of "erratic"
but completely harmless behavior when I am in fact completely sober,
and I don't want noisebridge to be yet another place where I have to
worry about this.