[Noisebridge-discuss] door "security": culture, not policy.

Jake jake at spaz.org
Fri Mar 22 07:03:45 UTC 2013

here we go again...

also i'll remind everyone that as tenants of 2169 mission it is our
responsibility to not allow anyone into the building (past the main gate)
who we are not allowing into the third floor.

https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2012-February/028220.html

[Noisebridge-discuss] Upstairs door latch mechanism?
Jake jake at spaz.org
Fri Feb 10 02:34:39 PST 2012

I guess a bunch of people have been talking about latching or locking the
upstairs door.

Are you people crazy?  Don't you realize that by the time someone is
upstairs they feel as though they are practically inside the space
already?

If you can't turn someone away at the sidewalk, and they get to the top of
the stairs, it is only going to make them angry if you refuse to let them
in.  It is going to create more conflict, not less, especially if you use
the smarmy little porthole to shield yourself while refusing to let
someone in while someone else comes up behind you and second-guesses your
decision in front of the person.

have you ever been at a teller window (post office for example) where the
clerk, who is telling you NO you can't have what you came here for, is
isolated behind a 2" thick piece of lexan with a tiny little breathing
hole where you're supposed to talk and listen through?  Do you remember
feeling hostility toward that person and wondering what you would do if
you could reach through the little hole and strangle them?

well that's whats going to happen to you if you try to keep people out at
the top of the stairs, because eventually someone is going to open the
door and that person is going to come in anyway, and be pissed at you.

We need to focus on bouncing people at the sidewalk door.  If you are
having trouble understanding this concept, please ask some people whose
opinion you trust before continuing with this idea of locking the upstairs
door.

sincerely,
-jake