[Noisebridge-discuss] door "security": culture, not policy.

Sai noisebridge at saizai.com
Sat Mar 23 03:51:21 UTC 2013

So are there any criteria you can articulate for when to not let
someone into the building?

If not, I suggest giving up on that idea and making it about
humanization. IMO it's a strategy much more likely to be effective
than "do they look suspicious on the grainy street cam" pseudostrategy
which is in place now.

- Sai

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 8:46 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> - Sai
>>

>> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 12:03 AM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> here we go again...
>>>
>>> also i'll remind everyone that as tenants of 2169 mission it is our
>>> responsibility to not allow anyone into the building (past the main gate)
>>> who we are not allowing into the third floor.
>>>

>>> https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2012-February/028220.html
>>>
>>> [Noisebridge-discuss] Upstairs door latch mechanism?
>>> Jake jake at spaz.org
>>> Fri Feb 10 02:34:39 PST 2012
>>>
>>> I guess a bunch of people have been talking about latching or locking the
>>> upstairs door.
>>>
>>> Are you people crazy?  Don't you realize that by the time someone is
>>> upstairs they feel as though they are practically inside the space
>>> already?
>>>
>>> If you can't turn someone away at the sidewalk, and they get to the top
>>> of
>>> the stairs, it is only going to make them angry if you refuse to let them
>>> in.  It is going to create more conflict, not less, especially if you use
>>> the smarmy little porthole to shield yourself while refusing to let
>>> someone in while someone else comes up behind you and second-guesses your
>>> decision in front of the person.
>>>
>>> have you ever been at a teller window (post office for example) where the
>>> clerk, who is telling you NO you can't have what you came here for, is
>>> isolated behind a 2" thick piece of lexan with a tiny little breathing
>>> hole where you're supposed to talk and listen through?  Do you remember
>>> feeling hostility toward that person and wondering what you would do if
>>> you could reach through the little hole and strangle them?
>>>
>>> well that's whats going to happen to you if you try to keep people out at
>>> the top of the stairs, because eventually someone is going to open the
>>> door and that person is going to come in anyway, and be pissed at you.
>>>
>>> We need to focus on bouncing people at the sidewalk door.  If you are
>>> having trouble understanding this concept, please ask some people whose
>>> opinion you trust before continuing with this idea of locking the
>>> upstairs
>>> door.
>>>
>>> sincerely,
>>> -jake
>>>
>>> Casey Callendrello wrote (Thu Feb 9 22:58:35 PST 2012):
>>>
>>> Hi there.
>>> The upstairs door is already keyed with the A-key. However, the latch
>>> mechanism has been removed. Does anyone know where it is?
>>>
>>> If not, I'll try to order a new one. The crash bar is a "Von Duprin 44".
>>> However, these parts are surprisingly expensive and hard to track down.
>>>
>>> --c.
>>>

>>> Casey Callendrello wrote:
>>> Adding a lock to the upstairs door is quite doable. I've looked in to
>>> this before. There are a few things that need to be done:
>>>
>>> 1) Some boring locksmithy stuff of getting some locks re-keyed
>>> 2) Re-building the elevator lobby door. Not too hard
>>> 3) Electronic strikes for both doors