[Noisebridge-discuss] DoJ supports the right to record police (and to sue if they try to stop you)

maestro maestro415 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 01:39:19 UTC 2013

>Civilians cannot initiate criminal prosecutions in the US.

# correct. i should have included THAT should folks>>
# want to pursue a case and it says it in the book i re:'d.

# you can as a citizen go to the d.a. 1st with your evidence>>
# and they will make the decision to press criminal charges.
# fucked up in S.F. d.a. is former police chief (very lame).
# best to have an attorney do it, but you can do it on your own.

# if citizen and/or their attorneys don't get the result they want>>
# from d.a. they can take it higher and, to bring in your prior info,>>
# go to the d.o.j. with their evidence.

# sucks to have to do but, it's the d.o.j. and fbi that are busting sfpd>>
# for A LOT of shit right now as much as we can't stand feds.

# using them for this purpose leaves no bad taste.

# important for folks to know that you can also sue the cop(s) in small
claims>>
# for up to $7500, but it must be other charges than used in a civil
settlement.

# example: use U.S.C. 1983 in federal court and assault/battery/others in>>
# small claims (whatever they may be you can prove)
# this makes it possible to sue them twice where you cannot in federal.
# and you sue them under their name NOT city of S.F./sfpd/name(s).

>§1983/Bivens actions can get damages and declaratory or injunctive
>relief. They can do enough damage that someone gets fired. But they
>can't make the government convict someone of a crime per se.

# yes. and contrary to what 'they' will try to do, you get FULL access to>>
# any cop's personnel file and disciplinary record(s) as soon as your
complaint>>
# is set for trial.
# 'they' will usually push it to the max. 2 year time frame trying to get
you to lose>>
# patience and faith and drop it. DON'T. use a contingency agreement with
your>>
# lawyer(s). this way time is irrelevant and you just sit back and have
patience.

# we have successfully sued sfpd and are open-source with how to do it for
beings>>
# that are serious and have solid cases.

# there will be many that try to tell you it can't be done, too well
protected.
# bullshit. and video/audio is GOLD.

# and it takes patience...

# also see [filming cops], [copblock] (many across nation), [exposing
police abuses]>>
# [copwatch] and those link off to other resources

end comments

message ends

--

*~the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...*