[Noisebridge-discuss] oogles at noisebridge

Jake jake at spaz.org
Wed May 29 20:17:58 UTC 2013

No i didnt get any pictures, because when i thought of it (after they were
dragging their feet despite me and mitch BOTH being really heavy about
them leaving) I said "i am going to take a picture now for our records and
they ACTUALLY left immediately then, so i didn't get one.

But i did get a picture of Vince, who was an extreme problem a couple of
times and yet barely got mentioned on the discuss list as "vince was asked
to leave".  I was disappointed that none of the ten people arguing him out
the door for 20 minutes was willing to write anything up about it.

I would like to think that scud and chrissy got the message and won't come
back, although i'm sure the cashbox is very tempting to a lot of people.
Certainly if i see them in the space again I will tell them that they need
to leave "immediately or i'm calling the police" and I will tell them that
if they come in again, i "will call the police before even warning you" so
that should be enough.

I agree that it's tiring the way noisebridge has decayed socially.  I
blame a lack of willingness on the part of most noisebridge "leadership"
to take the problem seriously, in favor of an overappreciation of chaos.

I attribute this divide to lack of understanding by software people (those
who mostly use their laptops and rarely use other tools) of the very real
and crippling effects of entropy of the space by non-hackers.  Software
people can clear off a space on a table and open their laptop and get to
work.  The chaos around them is ambiance, and they don't know how many of
the tools are missing or destroyed, or how many of the soldering irons are
actually usable.  They don't see how many of the multimeters actually
work, and they don't understand that people can't leave projects on their
member shelves overnight because they get prowled regularly for crack
money.

As for Scud and Chrissy i think they were doing what was good for them -
getting as much as they could from noisebridge before they were cut off.
I guess I would do the same thing if i were them.  Their choice.

The complaint I have is with people who are in a position to improve
noisebridge, for example by embracing a new era of access control, but are
not willing to do it because they don't see a problem.

-jake