[Noisebridge-discuss] Searching for new laptop

Mike Higashi mhigashi at gmail.com
Fri May 3 07:35:24 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 6:48 AM, Mitch Altman <maltman23 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> And thanks for the recommendation on the new laptop,  Lee.  I may get a
> new Think pad afterward.

The current ThinkPad T-series models are the T430 (14") and T530 (15").

In March, Lenovo announced a new T431 that would be available "in April",
but it still shows
on their website as "coming soon".

If you like the current design, it might a good idea to look for some
really good discounts (30 to
40 %) on a T430 when the new model is released, especially if you don't
like the redesign:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/17/the-inside-story-of-lenovo-thinkpad-redesign/
http://www.electronista.com/articles/13/01/21/hinges.inherited.from.thinkpad.carbon.x1.altered.keys/

Some of the design changes:
   Instead of having buttons to click when using the TrackPoint device, you
click the top part of the touchpad.
   The function keys are primarily for hardware control, and Fn becomes a
secondary use. (I don't know if that's remappable.)

Mike