[Noisebridge-discuss] Orientation

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Wed May 8 15:56:08 UTC 2013

This is great, I'm glad you did it and I thank you. I think you hit all the major points.  As you note, the orientation concept has been put forth before, and there have even been people who took on the task of greeting visitors and giving them an orientation if they wanted it. I bet you won't find anyone who thinks it's a bad idea.

The reason it still (or again) doesn't happen regularly is that not everyone wants to be the orienter. For a variety of reasons -- off the top of my head, being busy with a project or discussion, not feeling qualified, not comfortable interacting with people, and many others -- people don't always manage to do this task. I only did it once myself and I was so awkward it was not a very good intro to nb!  IMHO the real problem is helping more people feel like giving the orientation and nobody has solved that yet.  If you have ideas in that regard I'm sure we are all ears.

-Rachel