[Noisebridge-discuss] ?How not to crash at noisebridge

Brian Cloutier briancloutier2010 at gmail.com
Fri May 10 20:38:07 UTC 2013

Interestingly enough, I set off to prove the guy wrong and couldn't find a
"no residential use" rule. Really the only part of our law I feel
comfortable with is zoning, so I took a look there.

The SF zoning map can be found
here<http://www.sf-planning.org/index.aspx?page=1569>. If
you click on the map you'll get a massive pdf, and if you zoom in enough
you'll find that NB is the shade of purple called "NCT", or Neighborhood
Commercial Transit.

The planning code goes into more detail, NB is in the "Mission street
neighborhood commercial transit district", outlined in Section
736.1<http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/California/planning/article7neighborhoodcommercialdistricts?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:sanfrancisco_ca$anc=JD_736.1>.
The
section I linked to specifically permits residential use. It even allows
"group housing", lodging for a week or more at a time in a space not
defined as a dwelling unit.

This doesn't mean it's not illegal to reside at NB. The lot is zoned
properly but it's likely there are additional requirements the building and
space must meet. It's very likely NB does not meet those requirements.

Could anybody help me out? I don't know enough to about our laws to figure
out which ones we'd be breaking.