[Noisebridge-discuss] California Lawmaker Wants 3-D Printers To Be Regulated

LinkReincarnate linkreincarnate at gmail.com
Sun May 12 19:41:31 UTC 2013

That is a straw man.  None of what he said was homophobic or racist.  Even
if it was I would defend his right to say it.  In america the only limit we
have on free speech is when you use it to directly cause bodily harm to
others (yelling fire in a crowded theater)  Everything else must be
protected (including speech you find abhorrent like racism, homophobia, or
sexism) lest other speech be eroded away.  The proper response is not to
try to censor people who don't agree with you, it is to use your own free
speech to counter theirs.  Free speech is it's own check and balance.  That
only works if everyone has it regardless of their opinions or the
popularity of their opinions. Any  outside interference with that throws
the balance off and allows one side of an idea to prevail in said
imbalance.  In the case of women's rights, racism, and homophobia outlawing
that type of speech may seem like a good idea but you'd be throwing the
baby out with the bathwater in doing so. You would be getting an
incremental step in rights at the cost of the future of growth of those
same rights. The meaning of any particular piece of speech (even entirely
in context) is a highly subjective matter.  I believe that our law system
tries to be as objective as possible (or at least it was originally
designed with that intent)  Where do you draw the line for what constitutes
this type of speech? Who defines it? What will be the penalty? What do you
do to repeat offenders? Who pays for this program? What about weird edge
cases?  Finally how will it be abused/gamed/corrupted? That's not even
getting into the problems that plague the justice system right now. Or the
problems the plague human interaction and understanding in general. We live
in the real world.  The truth is that violence is sometimes necessary.  We
hope to avoid it as much as possible but pretending that we can all bury
our heads in the sand RE:violence is just naivety.  Outlawing violent
speech is not going to stop violence.  It could mean one has less warning
though.