[Noisebridge-discuss] anti-anonymity proposals

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Sat Nov 16 05:40:10 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 8:41 PM, jim <jim at systemateka.com> wrote:
> JS: For the last many years I've become used
> to getting inflamed responses to my ideas.

Jim, this may be because your ideas have, to be polite, slipped the
surly bonds of earth.

>     Ceren raised the topic of harassment; I
> picked a crude example that I believe has
> happened a couple of times at Noisebridge to
> have specifics to discuss.

That sentence sense makes no.

> JS: Note that your friends are your community,
> but not everyone at noisebridge is your friend
> (I don't mean enemy, just that there are people
> who come to NB who don't know you're part of NB,
> just as you don't know of them).
>     There are at least a few different
> communities at Noisebridge, and as far as I
> can tell, they're largely ignorant of the others.

This is true. But, honestly, if someone was to punch somebody else in
the face at Noisebridge, I'd throw them out. I'm not really happy
working in a place where that's okay -- nor where people can't turn to
others to cope with physical assault or harassment.

Really, I don't actually know how to engage with you usefully without
that as a baseline. You're saying here that violence is *better*
solution that a code of conduct. That may be okay for people  who are
better at slugging people out than negotiating written social rules,
but I really don't actually want to be in the same space as people
like that. You have to have *some* shared values in order to
co-operatively run a space, and that seems to be one of the basic
ones.

d.