[Noisebridge-discuss] anti-anonymity proposals

jim jim at well.com
Sat Nov 16 05:40:53 UTC 2013

JS: my replies interspersed below:

On Fri, 2013-11-15 at 18:01 -0800, Hannah Grimm wrote:
> Jim: what the fuck?
>

> I would like you to pause and think on a few things for a moment.
JS: okay
>   First, if I am in a position where I am being harassed, confronting
> my harasser is not always a safe thing for me to do.
JS: right! (and obvious, yes?)

>   Throwing a punch might get me stabbed.  Hell, telling someone to
> stop catcalling at me might get me stabbed.
JS: true. low likelihood but high damage. Please
note that I did not recommend throwing punches.

>  Second, I'd like to point out that while Noisebridge is pretty bad at
> throwing out harassers (see Danny's comments above), it's great about
> kicking out people who have thrown punches.  Fighting back is more
> likely to get me kicked out of the space than the person who harassed
> me.
JS: interesting. I don't know the history, but
I'm taking your word for it; it certainly seems
plausible. Good point.

> If you claim that it's my responsibility to be able to defend myself,
> then the only responsible course of action is for me to only go to
> places that are safe...and that functionally means not coming to NB.
JS: no, I did not make such a claim. What I
wrote was that I'll eagerly defend those who
try to defend themselves, and admiringly, too.
I cannot figure out what is your responsibility,
and that goes to formal community rules and
policies: I believe that the community jointly
and severally cannot properly ascertain what
might be one's responsibilities, and I see
merit in keeping the definition at bay.