[Noisebridge-discuss] clarification of sponsorship, applicants, associate member, membership etc.

Jake jake at spaz.org
Mon Nov 4 04:29:13 UTC 2013

we should clarify for ourselves, possibly at this next meeting, what the
expectations are for people in the space and the concept of sponsorship.

This is my interpretation of what we have agreed to so far:

random people / hackers off the plane:
anyone is welcome to come to noisebridge any time and ring the doorbell or
enter if someone opens the door for them.  They should meet a member soon
but it is not their responsibility to know this until they are informed.

guests / visitors:
people who are in the space who are sponsored by at least one present
Member or Associate Member, however informally, or could promptly find
one to sponsor them if they were asked to.

applicants in progress:
people who have filled out a membership application and have TWO or three
signatures of members on their application (or electronically on their
wiki user page, linked to on their application).  These people are
entitled to be at Noisebridge without anyone present sponsoring them.

associate members:
people who have filled out a membership application and have FOUR or more
signatures of members on their application (or electronically on their
wiki user page, linked to on their application).  These people are
entitled to be at Noisebridge without anyone present sponsoring them,
AND these people can sponsor guests / visitors while they are present.

members:
people who have achieved full noisebridge membership by the original
process, including being consensed upon and with the right to block and
all that rot.  These people can do whatever Associate Members can do as
well.

unsponsored persons:
anyone who is at noisebridge and does not fall into any of the above
categories may be asked to leave for no reason other than a lack of
sponsorship at that time.  They may be told about the tuesday meeting.

still to be determined:

can associate members sign applications for applicants to noisebridge?
Or is this reserved only for full members?  If there are strong opinions
both ways on this topic perhaps we should formalize it, since it's not
specified.

-jake