[Noisebridge-discuss] noisebridge visits other tech people's events like a roving heavy metal band

Romy Ilano romy at snowyla.com
Thu Nov 7 07:10:22 UTC 2013

[positive post / i know people are very annoyed with long rambling posts so
I'm just putting a warning first]

I went to a cool [names protected] tech meetup with a Noisebridge heavy
metal warrior. they were very civilized, and we were all having a great
time, but we mentioned noisebridge and I think people were taken aback.

Someone even flinched.

I am not even really a member of Noisebridge, but it was exciting! it was
like being a member of a really crazy Scandinavian death metal band that
eats mummified mouse heads on stage.

People were a little taken aback, maybe they have negative impressions,
maybe they like to make fun of Noisebridge or /and SudoRoom etc.

But it was still this thing of being taken aback, as if we were in a crazy
heavy metal band.it was a very punk rock effect, and it felt like we were
definitely punk rock.

we were like, talking about how we hang out at Noisebridge, and how we
discuss feminism as  a main topic, not just a token thing. I am not even a
member of Noisebridge but just talking about how we like hanging out at
Noisebridge despite all the drama, it was a great feeling.

when you are in a band with people, or an artist's group, it is easy to
freak out and get on each other's nerves. I remember running an art group
many years ago, and the artists were really tough to deal with. it was hard
to get any event going, there was a lot of drama and ego and politics, but
when the opening night came, it was a very beautiful feeling.

Noisebridge is still very punk rock, which is why i like going there. its
reputation preceded us. we just talked about hanging out at Noisebridge,
and woomf! it was like people wanting to scram before the GG allin appears.

=D