[Noisebridge-discuss] Job Creator

Liz Henry lizhenry at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 20:41:51 UTC 2013

>   If anyone chooses to consider my use of the word "rape" as a
> tongue-in-cheek metaphor to be an expression of insensitivity toward
> women's suffering, then you're mistaken. My sister was raped once, and she
> still suffers from it. That's one reason i have done volunteer work for
> Women Against Rape.

Hi Johny,

This is the second time you have used your "volunteering" for SF Women
Against Rape, SF-WAR, to give yourself credibility in a discussion about
sexual harassment. I would like to ask, in what capacity did you volunteer
with them, or in what capacity are you volunteering now? Or, do you mean
that you sent them an email offering to volunteer?

If you are volunteering actively for SF-WAR I would expect you to know
better than to joke around about rape in this way.

SF-WAR has extensive training in order to volunteer in their program. It is
at least an 80 hour month long process and you have to commit to work a
particular amount of hours per week for the next year. It is nothing to
claim lightly.

I don't like the way you cite your supposed activist work against rape in
order to legitimize your actions.

You also should not claim that you can say whatever you want without
repercussion because you know someone who has been raped. Knowing someone
who is raped does not give you a free pass that proves for all time that
you are "sensitive". That is the worst excuse! If you want to prove your
sensitivity and depth of knowledge around the subject, please simply behave
better.

>From my point of view, you said this as a deliberate provocation on a
public mailing list, in the middle of our community's extended discussion
about harassment and sexual assault. You said it because you think you can
get away with it. I am heartened that several people told you not to do
that. My concern is that this is your pattern for your real life behavior,
as well as your mailing list behavior.  You push a boundary, then act like
it was ok, when people call you on it, and worse, you do more than act like
it was ok, you get angry that you were called out and that someone asked
you not to cross a boundary. That is bad behavior.

I do not think you would be a good choice for a person to work as a
volunteer for rape crisis or resource center, because your judgment about
sexual harassment and basic personal boundaries is very poor.  In this
case, you may benefit from listening to what people are telling you.

- Liz

--
Liz Henry
lizhenry at gmail.com

"Electric ladies will you sleep or will you preach?" -- Janelle Monae

"Without models, it's hard to work; without a context, difficult to
evaluate; without peers, nearly impossible to speak." -- Joanna Russ