[Noisebridge-discuss] amendments to membership proposal - associate members and 24/7 hours

Kevin Schiesser bfb at riseup.net
Tue Oct 22 01:48:12 UTC 2013

I was on docent shift last night. I asked one fella I found drinking
beer in the stairway to leave. Two folks filed membership applications
(under the "vouched for" section of the binder), and remained at
Noisebridge after 23:00. I recognized both people as having been coming
to NB for several months, and neither had heard of the new policy. All
told, when I left there were three or four active hackers in the space.

On the way out, Monad commented that one day Noisebridge will be
welcoming to activists again. Thinking of Cypherpunks, open-source
hackers/contributers, freedom on the web, freedom of information, etc...
This resonated with me, and I will consider further the impact of
proposals such as this in these terms. Will limiting access to NB
attract activists? Will the proposal reduce disruption, disturbance,
theft to facilitate hacking? Are there better ways for NB to be more
welcoming?

At the meeting where this proposal was consensed, John and I both
strongly stood aside. As such, I have been steering many to file
sponsorship paperwork to avoid being asked to leave. One person I've
spoken with is adverse to filing any paperwork at all, and has not been
at NB form 23:00-10:00. As regards the bug last night, that's my failure
for not introducing myself and the membership binder to everyone that
came in the door. I'm not convinced that extending the outage time will
bring more excellent hackers to NB.

--Kevin