[Noisebridge-discuss] How to connect community broadcast stations. -Re: Radio-networking info/project

giovanni_re john_re at fastmail.us
Tue Oct 8 19:39:21 UTC 2013

Thanks, Jason, for this great find!  :)

Wow- Is the USA woefully laggard?:
" there are thousands of community radio stations in Indonesia."

----
 This post was jointly written by Trevor Knoblich, project director at
 FrontlineSMS, and Harry Surjadi, Knight International Journalism Fellow
 and freelance journalist.

Worldwide, media outlets are increasingly mastering two -way
communications channels. Radio and television stations are equipped to
receive text messages, phone calls, and social media inputs. Staff can
then decide to respond over broadcast, or back through the incoming
channel. Yet these communications are often restricted to a single node
— one community radio station, or a single television outlet, connecting
to its own audience. There are often gaps in transmitting that
information to other outlets that might also find that information
relevant.

To take a specific example, there are thousands of community radio
stations in Indonesia. While many are able to communicate in two -way
channels with their audience, there is no standard service to share
breaking news and other important information with other nearby
stations. There is, in essence, a knowledge transfer gap between each
singular node.

We propose that this problem can be addressed, and that Indonesia holds
a particularly interesting possibility, because a structure exists that
could relay information between relevant stations. Namely, hundreds of
radio stations are organized under voluntary consortiums; the organizing
bodies of these consortiums can serve as a hub to coordinate information
to its various member stations. In developing such a network, we could
create a wire service of sorts for low -bandwidth environments.

Organizing such a wire service could be done with FrontlineSMS, enabling
local radio stations to exchange SMS, or text messages, with one another
or with their parent organizing body. Further, the SMS can be broad
enough to allow communities to participate in creating and reporting
news via community information brokers. The mechanism would create a
dynamic, community -focused news network that will allow for the rapid
transmission of critical information across a given region.

NEWS THATISNODE-WORTHY We could organize a pilot as follows: As a
community radio station learns information that may be relevant to
others, they can send a short message to the consortium headquarters.
>From there, staff can forward the message to any other member station
that could be potentially affected by the news. This might include
emergency alerts, news about government service delivery, or even
off-air collaboration about common challenges. In the long term, radio
stations might be able to share information directly with sister
outlets, or receive and verify reports from community information
brokers.