[Noisebridge-discuss] amendments to membership proposal - associate members and 24/7 hours

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 16:44:08 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 8:07 AM, Hannah Grimm <dharlette at gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally, I think the new rule is great (and this is someone who is not
> a member).  I'm also just fine with there being a sort of "junior member"
> state that is enough to be allowed in after hours, which should be easier
> to achieve and does NOT have the right to block.  The ability to block is
> an incredibly powerful one, and it only takes two jerkoffs with Membership
> to cause havoc and defend each other from attempts to remove them.  We need
> to be careful about handing that out; we've had issues with people who
> don't really understand consensus blocking things in a way that is highly
> detrimental to the community.  I like there being three levels: visitors,
> who need someone to accompany them, members, who can visit without a
> chaperone, and Members, who can block and who pay (because paying gives us
> a way of getting rid of them if they're ever late on their dues).

Well said.

The open issues list is IMO still stuck at two points. Hacking is
inherently messy so the points are reflective of that:

 How do we:

Point # 1: Ensure that absent improper conduct-CONTRIBUTING  people will
unfailingly feel SAFE and CHERISHED quite apart from all else.

#1 Explains as: "This is not about Judas's handful of coins folks, nor is
it about popularity contest reindeer games. If you are HACKING in the
space- you are Contributing if only by Example.

*Cherish Hackers*

Point# 2:On a 24/7 basis- be clearly making the Perps&/Squatters 100%
UNwelcome as NB is a space for all Participants- No spectators,  unless
it's a show night or non-participants are somehow vouched for.

#2 explains as:  Either we actively- even yes- challenging the risky
cases-  kick the bad eggs OUT upon the first un-Hacker conduct/absence of
proven Hacker Cred- or we risk the abovementioned fail of people not
feeling SAFE. Show nights and AUTHORIZED guests as a possible exception to
the no spectators rule.

Teal Deer: If someone acts enough of an ass that they grossly threaten
others- they are showing a risk of not being WORTH the risk.  Intimidation
is Conduct Unbecoming at it's most UN-excellent and supersedes all else as
potential ticket to 86 Status

All screeds deserve a pointed recap.. And I openly state my points are
trying to have NB thrive by nurturing the best&brightest we attract while
not letting predators or just disruptor fails- endanger our NEEDS TO BE A
Safe Space.

Oren Beck

816.632.3695