[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: Why I sent a lot of emails to the list tonight.

Kevin Schiesser bfb at riseup.net
Tue Sep 17 07:34:53 UTC 2013

On 09/13/2013 06:27 AM, spinach williams wrote:

> > What traditional systems have gone toxic at Noisebridge? The toxic
> tradition of strict adherence to tradition? The expectation that it
> will always be the same as we left it? I see a good number of people
> making a good faith effort to communicate and in Rob's case, to
> upgrade Noisebridge infrastrcture. It's challenging, hilarious and
> inspiring to be there.
>
> off the top, recounting what i've seen since april of this year:
> discussions over use of space almost always boiling down to classism;

It's so sad when a class card is pulled to deny someone access to
Noisebridge. It does happen. I recall hearing someone tell someone else
that Noisebridge wasn't a place to fill out applications. I disagreed
and offered to help. We created a throw-away email address together and
sent off an application to the church of satan. Certainly not a
satanist, but glad to offer some internet help.

It's hard to listen when I hear people to say 'this is what
da-dad-da-daa ....'

> asinine expectectations that a victim of sexual assault would show up
> to be interrogated by a group including their alleged attacker who is
> presumed by the loudest among us unfairly persecuted;

Currently in mediation and has been hard on everyone. Wishing to learn a
best way to handle sexual assault. I tend towards Tom's disposition.
Easy enough to reject someone from participating, rather than dive into
the details.

> several people in the space taking it upon themselves to survey anyone
> who doesn't look like everybody else there;

I wear a red shit on Sunday nights. It's dangerous to be on the front lines.

> an assumption, by many there, into the personal space of every woman
> who enters.

Fuck that

> there's possibly more, i just woke up.

Good morning and welcome to 2169.

> the space isn't welcoming to people who don't fit a very narrow social
> band -- if you fit, it's going to be an inspiring place to do
> incredible work; if you don't, every visit will be punctuated by a
> clear message you are not wanted or safe here. doesn't help that any
> protest to that effect is written off as drama and ignored.
>
> -spinach

P.S. I realize now now that you ment the mailman mailing list is not
particularly good at hourly updates, a broken traditional system, and
that twitter excels at this. If I recall correctly there have been
several Noisebridge Twitter accounts, and possibly an attempt to create
haiku of mailing list posts via twitter?? Maybe someone would post the
credentials on a whiteboard at noisebridge, on the mailing list? etc?