[Noisebridge-discuss] Just what is "Hacking".

Norman Bradley pryankster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 23:07:40 UTC 2013

Feel free to call me a curmudgeon. I've been called that before.

Although my bachelors degree is in Math/Computer Science I have always
felt that language should express ideas accurately. So I can state
definitively that there is no such thing as a Sleep Hacker. Also the use
of the word Hacker for things like, Food/Cooking, Sewing, and Music,
should only be used if those involved are doing something completely new
to them. Cooking dinner just doesn't count.

To quote the Merriam Webster online dictionary a Hacker is:

3*:*an expert at programming and solving problems with a computer

4*:*a person who illegally gains access to and sometimes tampers with
information in a computer system

Number 1 refers to chopping things up and number 2 refers to someone who
is unskilled or inexperienced. So unless you are inexperienced or
unskilled at sleep (or you are chopping it up) you aren't hacking
anything and you are putting the lease in danger.

--
You are entitled to your own opinion.
You are NOT entitled to your own facts.

Norman