[Noisebridge-discuss] 5 WEEKS TO 0: Come join the fun - NB Radio mtg tonight Tues 5-7PM. US hackerspace outreach. Prelim aplication TOC.

Josh Wilson joshua at artsandmedia.net
Tue Sep 17 20:45:18 UTC 2013

Hey folks. I may or may not be able to get to the radio meeting tonight or Saturday, depends on what family commitments I can or cannot shirk.

Jeff Shaw and I are planning to come next Tuesday to the general meeting, however.

The hackerspace radio network idea is pretty genius. You most certainly can manifest it — if you inspire enough peers, anyway!

One thing we'd love to talk to you guys about is wiring up the existing network of permitted but unbuilt stations Common Frequency has been supporting. There are something like a dozen full-power stations around California (and a new one starting in Portland, too, plus any LPFM stations that want to pile on when they get their permits). Most of these stations have construction permits to put up antenna towers, but there have been funding issues and technical issues hindering the process.

CF needs help supporting these stations, helping them build facilities and, even more significantly, create network infrastructure. Like, what are the technical tasks and opportunities to connect up all these little stations? What's the best way for the stations to share programming, both recorded and live? Etc.

I know there are traditional, high-finance solutions to those issues. But perhaps there is a better way.

- Josh

about LPFM on radio survivor: http://radiosurvivor.com/learn-more/about-low-power-fm/
CF activity map: http://www.commonfrequency.org/activity
Bill Moyers/PBS on LPFM: http://youtube.com/watch?v=EriXIv7LAQo