[Noisebridge-discuss] how Noisebridge could improve

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 20:10:42 UTC 2014

I agree that Attitude /can/ be considered "the problem", but it's
important to keep context in mind when you make comparisons.

Context is EVERYTHING.  The context of the Dickens Fair (which I'm
very familiar with; if you ever notice that key I wear around my neck,
it was from the 2005 DCF) is:

* very short duration
* gated community (must buy tickets or be a performer)
* organizers and performers probably want to work well with each other
from year to year (incentive to harmonize).
* organizers would like to keep customers happy to ensure they come
back (monetary incentive to provide a safe space).

Contrast with Noisebridge:

* very long duration.
* open community (no cost of any kind to participate).
* very little social "gating" (we accept lots of weird people).
* very little to easily distinguish those with a long-term vested
interest in the space and those who are just there for a day.
* some ppl who hang out have nothing to lose by being bad actors.

Ergo:   Noisebridge, unlike the DCF, is the kind of place where people
with nothing to lose are able to hang out and commit acts that only
people with nothing to lose (socially) would commit.

(That doesn't mean that everybody there is like that, of course. Far from it.)

The above is part of the Threat Model of Noisebridge.

--Naomi