[Noisebridge-discuss] Cloning 900 netbooks?

girlgeek girlgeek at wt.net
Tue Apr 22 05:29:04 UTC 2014

Hi Lane,

I have Windows 8.1.  I'm underwhelmed by the start menu fix.  I'm going
after something called Windows 8.1 update now.  But that is why I want
to clone all these machines.  I have put in considerable work and made
one machine usable.  Initially these people would turn on the machine
and see the temperature in Washington DC flashing permanently before
them.  Very useful in rural Rwanda.  They also got lovely things like
recipes for baked halibut.  Rwanda is landlocked, equitorial (not
halibut zone), and most people don't have ovens, oh and it has nothing
to do with teaching English. Other than that....

Actually, the biggest headache is the trackpad.  It is very sensitive
and there is no adjustment for the sensitivity in Windows 8.1.  People
are losing lessons and then finding grade 1 lessons have moved into
grade 2 week 3 - because the trackpad slides things around so
quickly.    Someone has written a little utility based on very obscure
Windows  commands to change the track pad sensitivity. It is one of the
things that I want to get onto the cloned machines.

Thank you all for the help.

-Claudia