[Noisebridge-discuss] Outsider perceptions of NB

Callme Whatiwant nejucomo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 00:43:48 UTC 2014

What is your purpose in writing this?

This seems to imply that you recommend people ignore spinach.  Is that
correct?  If so, what benefit do you perceive that would bring to
yourself?

This is the second email I've read in 10 minutes from you, Al, which
either has the explicit or seemingly implicitly goal of advocating
that people ignore someone (the other being [1]).

[1] https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2014-March/043447.html

This concerns me, because I'm not certain what benefit this strategy
may have, but I feel relatively certain of some of the drawbacks.
Those include promoting a *general feeling to the general public* that
it's common or acceptable to silence people at noisebridge, as well as
contributing to the perception that noisebridge is victim to cliques
which use their social position to silence dissidents.  In my
evaluation, those two effects are caustic and I hope to see
noisebridge evolve beyond them.

I'm quite curious about spinach's perception about shaming, and this
strategy of requesting people ostracize others might be one of the
contributing factors.

Al, I don't mean to pick on you particularly about this behavior,
because it may easily be sampling bias / anecdotal, and I'm interested
in learning your motivations to see if there's some strategy which
doesn't carry the same drawbacks.