[Noisebridge-discuss] Colombian hackerspace kickstarter project for DSLR hacking

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 7 01:37:51 UTC 2014

Thanks for posting about this, Danny.  I'm backing it (and spread the word).

Best,
Mitch.

Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 16:26:22 -0800
From: danny at spesh.com
To: discuss at lists.hackerspaces.org; noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net; sudo-discuss at lists.sudoroom.org
Subject: [Noisebridge-discuss] Colombian hackerspace kickstarter project for	DSLR hacking

I visited the Bogotá
 hackerspace, Hackbo, a month or so ago, and chatted to them a bit about
 how the space is working. It's a really nice hackerspace -- in a
residential block, but with four or so big well-equipped rooms, and with
 a really busy community, and whiteboards full of really detailed
ongoing projects, which I sort of feel is the real metric of a great hackerspace.

One
 of the projects that has shifting from being a prototype to being a
potential full-time work for a bunch of the key hackers is this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hpsaturn/lumera-transform-your-camera-into-the-smartest-one

It's
 a linux-based plugin for Digital SLR cameras (if you don't see your
camera listed, ask, because they're adding them as they go) that gives
you bluetooth LE remote operation, background transfer to online picture
 services via your phone or wifi. The hardware will be openhardware, the
 code is FLOSS. The device is going to sell for $150 USD ($170 canadian
-- they're working with a Canadian group to do the logistics).

Anyway,
 I just noticed that they're 3 days to go on their kickstarter, but
still have a way to go. I don't have any financial connection with these
 guys or the hackerspace, but I try to plug good hacking projects when I
 can. I think this'd be a fun gadget to have if you have a DSLR and are
interested in doing some connected messing with it, either with the
existing features of Lumera or extending it.

That's all!

Feel free to forward this around to any communities you think might be interested!

Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hpsaturn/lumera-transform-your-camera-into-the-smartest-one

Hackbo:
http://hackbo.co/