[Noisebridge-discuss] Rayce Topic

Torrie Fischer tdfischer at hackerbots.net
Sun Dec 21 18:22:10 UTC 2014

On Saturday, December 20, 2014 10:34:20 PM Torrie Fischer wrote:
> On Saturday, December 20, 2014 07:06:32 PM ai_n0_hat at hushmail.com wrote:
> > Community takes  work, i am willing to work with others on this issue
> > from a  constructive standpoint, i hope other people are too.
>
> Okay, thats great. It'd be most Excellent to do that! Everyone else is out
> of energy and really just can't handle RAYC at the space, and this was the
> second time. If RAYC comes back, I'll just walk out of the space because I
> want to hack and not figure out social justice. An effort was shared
> between Naomi, Scotty, Kevin, Patrick, Joshua, Mohammad, myself, and many
> others who do want RAYC at the space but we couldn't supply enough
> bandwidth to make that happen, so we're just kinda done with it.

After some more thinking, I feel it is worth noting that there are a lot of
folks who do want to work with RAYC on this and get him some help. He's a good
friend to Mohammad and myself and it'd be neat if those of us who also want to
help RAYC got together and figured out something to do. However, its been made
perfectly clear by some people at Noisebridge that there would need to be an
absolutely monumental change in RAYC's life before they're comfortable seeing
RAYC in the space again. "Monumental" as in something consistently positive
over the next many many years. Until then, please don't misconstrue my
feelings about him as an invitation to bring him back to Noisebridge since I
also wish to respect the feelings of my friends and the community at large and
will quickly ask him to leave.

I think this is be a good illustration of the dichotomy between /using/
Noisebridge to help people and /being at/ Noisebridge to help people.. This
sort of discussion of what Noisebridge means to people was first floated by
Naomi around this time last year so I'm wondering if anyone else has spent
time to figure out what Noisebridge means to oneself :)