[Noisebridge-discuss] a couple of things from the meeting today, on consensus and time

Adrian Chadd adrian.chadd at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 22:35:19 UTC 2014

On 26 February 2014 14:31, John Ellis <neurofog at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dana,
>
> I've been looking at the consensus process lately, and the perceived "power"
> structure at NB.
>
> Adding to your suggestions, I think making a point of recommending that
> members have the option of stating their position on a proposal ahead of a
> meeting, by adding a note to the wiki if they have strong views on a
> particular item, and would probably block (or stand aside) if present at a
> meeting.

As long as it's just stating their preference, sure. But there's
nothing stopping you from doing that right now via the mailing list or
submitting something to be tabled at a meeting.

> This avoids the issue where an item comes up for consensus after being
> tabled without all interested parties being present at a particular meeting.

I don't want to be part of a community where policy is dictated from
afar by people who have a vested interest in something, but aren't
locally present to participate.

The whole point of having meetings in the same space that you work in
is to try and pull in the same people who are using the space and have
a vested interest in it's actual health, not maintain some status quo.

(The US fought a war on this _exact same thing._ Hilarious.)

-a