[Noisebridge-discuss] Why Consensus Kills Community

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Mon Jan 6 17:51:58 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 10:14 PM, Al Sweigart <asweigart at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>

> 1) Consensus is voting where the 99% can be ignored and the 1% get their
> way.
>
> If you think voting sucks, it sucks even more when a single person can
> obstruct an idea and not be willing to compromise. If political processes
> are always dominated by trolls and politicians, than consensus is a process
> that makes it easy for them.
>
> The fact that prospective members have to overcome consensus to be a part
> of Noisebridge shows how cliquish and exclusive NB really is. I remember
> when not saying you approve of consensus was grounds for having your
> membership blocked. Talk about voter suppression.
>
> 2) Haters gonna... have some good points.
>
> I often say that the people who are still in favor of consensus at this
> point are those who willfully ignore criticism. "Well I've never seen that
> problem." is a favorite refrain of the anarchist crowd. They don't have to
> even refuse to solve problems, because they don't acknowledge them to begin
> with. People give up and leave, giving more ammo to "then why aren't more
> people complaining?"
>
> 3) We should prevent small problems before they predictably explode into
> drama.
>
> A lot of the problems Noisebridge has are predictable and have been solved
> by other people and organizations before. We just ignore those lessons so
> we can call ourselves radical hackers.
>
> You think Noisebridge experiments? Noisebridge is the most conservative
> organization I've ever been a part of. Consensus means status quo, where a
> single individual just has to say "I block" in order to prevent change.
>
> You offered up some ideas for new political processes; too bad consensus
> will prevent any of them from ever being implemented.
>
> 4) "I'd just ignore the anti-harassment policy anyway" doesn't sound as
> sexily iconoclastic.
>
> Case in point: saying "I'd just ignore the anti-harassment policy" doesn't
> make one sound roguish as much as it does sociopathic. Before you say the
> anti-harassment policy is already covered by "Be Excellent": we already
> tried that for five years and all it ended up with was the situation where
> we passed an anti-harassment policy.
>
> There's two ways you can go wrong with rules: way too many and none at all.
>
> 5) Your surveys will be biased.
>
> When people first come into Noisebridge, they are wowed by all the space
> and infrastructure we have freely available. It's only after a while they
> notice the clutter, the food left out, the missing basic tools in the shop,
> the filth, the mice, getting their phone stolen, creepy pervs, etc. At this
> point I can name close to a couple dozen people who haven't gotten sick of
> Noisebridge and left because consensus makes the slightest changes a repeat
> head-to-wall experience. Your survey won't include any of them. It will
> include a lot of people whose glasses haven't lost their rosey tint.

Well, actually, I think a survey should absolutely include them. The most
trickiest part of this conversation is always that everyone claims to be
the Speakers for the Dead. I'm totally happy to ask people who have left
Noisebridge why they left Noisebridge and I'm totally happy to have people
who apparently have "dozens" of their friends who left, why they left.

What I would most like is what Madelynn proposed at the beginning of this
thread, a million years ago. We do some research, we work together to come
up with a plan that has some broad consensus, we give some projections an
drasons, and we work to get it through the polity. I don't care *how* we do
that, and while I have opinions about what it should look like, I'm pretty
easy on compromising.

Whether you do this with majority voting or consensus is irrelevant. The
ridiculous part is people turning up to Meeting with some half-baked idea
which they alone have devised, then argue for by haranguing other people or
ad libbing quick rhetorical points to "win". I'm as much a perpetrator of
this as anyone else in the past, but we have to do something else.

And there *is* a deadline for this. I haven't crunched the stats, but at
this point, financially, we're mostly riding on my funding drive from last
year. The org is close to monthly break even, but we're still leaking a bit
of cash each month, and at some point we will  be out of money. I suspect
it will be before the end of the year. I for one am not going to start
advocating for Noisebridge in its current state, if only because I don't
have some awesome amazing projects to show for what it is, and that's what
I need from Noisebridge. I also suspect the *brilliant* idea of making
nobody required to contribute money (and the decreasing monies coming from
contributions at the front door) is going to add (or subtract) from that.

I think Mitch is in town later this month. I would like to call a members
meeting to have a Noisebridge constitutional convention, in which we dress
up Praveen as Thomas Jefferson, Al as John Adams, and I put dibs on Ben
Franklin before anyone nominates me as mad King George III. Tom can have
that.

d.