[Noisebridge-discuss] Why I'm a former member of Noisebridge

Dean Mao dean.mao at hackerdojo.com
Tue Jan 7 20:06:15 UTC 2014

I think this happens with online communities as well.  Reddit was
previously a place to discuss science & politics.  Now it's mostly filled
with pun or funny posts of people trying to one-up with every reply.  The
first year of the Hacker Dojo was probably similar to noisebridge as well
-- we had great events & visitors.  Jeri Ellsworth came by to show off her
stuff and take questions for example, but now we've only had mostly
"valley" meetup groups who need a venue.

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Al Sweigart <asweigart at gmail.com> wrote:

> Andy and Quinn are just providing comic relief to the otherwise depressing
> nostalgia for Noisebridge-that-was.
>

> On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 10:34 AM, Curtis Gagliardi <
> gagliardi.curtis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I can't tell what's real anymore.
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 7:03 AM, Quinn Norton <quinn at quinnnorton.com>wrote:
>>
>>> What you don't recognize, or care to admit is that by referencing these
>>> histories and harkening back to Usenet, you are recapitulating the
>>> patriarchal structures that founded the net instead of deconstructing them,
>>> thus re-enacting their gender priviledged violence on the Noisebridge
>>> mailing list.

Dean Mao
dean.mao at hackerdojo.com
Come visit us, we love new people!