[Noisebridge-discuss] Parking meter at noisebride [communication101]

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 17:23:20 UTC 2014

Well, one way you can build solidarity with me personally is when I write
ranty polemic designed to inform and rally the troops,

Don't show up going "so when are you going to rally the troops?"

If you have an actual question, like honestly seeking advice, it's best to
lead with that. If you think that concrete plans are the only solution,
then advance the discussion towards a concrete plan. Don't be a peanut in
the gallery or I will ignore you.

If what you want is general advice rooted in how functioning anarchist
communities might expect you to behave, as opposed to how our overarching
white supremacist corporate oligarchy expects you to behave, here it is.
Don't say I never gave you nothin'.

*I suggest you start by cultivating connection with people outside of your
socioeconomic spectrum, and doing more work to directly benefit the
community.*

*If you aren't sure what work to do, scrub the goddamn floor or help
someone else with their space-or-culture-improvement project. If you don't
know what projects exist, then pay better attention to when other people
are talking. Also known as ..... listening. The nice thing about a mailing
list is you can go back and listen retroactively.*

And if you want me to think you're not [elided] you might try a different
apology than "I'm sorry you thought..." try "I'm sorry I came across that
way." Apologize for you, not for me.

Communication is a two away street and sarcastic one-liners are sarcastic
one liners. I see you. If you want to legitimately ask for help, do so in
so many words and people may start to believe that you aren't too [elided]
to admit that you need it.

R.

(PS to davidfine and others): I refuse to categorize this kind of
conversation as drama. 'Drama' is a word used to dismiss any sort of
conversation about intangible social forces when the reality is these
forces are what is threatening noisebridge's existence right now. Feel free
to perma-sort me for your personal inbox, kids. Don't ask me to invalidate
and diminish the structural concerns of our organization. Perhaps this
tendency within our microculture, to invalidate intangible social
frictions, is part of what is keeping us in this place of social conflict
and terribleness.
On Jun 9, 2014 6:55 PM, "Adrian Chadd" <adrian.chadd at gmail.com> wrote:

On 9 June 2014 19:51, rachel lyra hospodar <rachelyra at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Adrian. I don't think we've ever met in person.
>
> Does airing my opinions come with a requirement for documentation of the
> actions I have taken to back them up?

Nope. I didn't ask for documentation.

> The irony of your one-line attempt at invalidating my opinions and beliefs
> is that I have, many times, played bouncer at the 'bridge. I have tackled
> thieves, confronted madmen, placated angry people, and called out
assholes.
> I have cleaned and bandaged wounds, scrubbed surfaces, picked up feces,
> confronted drunks, and helped to mediate disputes. I have done these
things
> publicly, in aid to my fellow hackers, when help was needed.

I'm sorry if you thought my one liner was trying to invalidate your
opinions. The problems aren't those beliefs - they're held by a large
part of the community I've met here.

The problem is implementation, not beliefs. That's what I asked about.

> I am mostly saying that if YOU don't also do these things, if we don't ALL
> take responsibility for maintaining the culture we would like to see,
>
> We won't have one.
>
> We don't have one, and I am describing why. Here's a hint - i'm not the
one
> failing to step up. I have stepped up. I step up. Where the fuck are you?
If
> you are afraid, that's OK. Ask for help.

Hi!

I'm asking for help and suggestions for the implementations. I think
we both agree on roughly / overlapping sets of beliefs.

-a