[Noisebridge-discuss] noisebridge monthly cleanup this sunday - could we make it a cleaning dance party?

Johny Radio johnyradio at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 07:58:51 UTC 2014

(Ignore this message-- because some months ago, some anonymous
impersonator instructed you to ignore me, and you should always do as
you're told.)

i finished Phase 2 of the Electronics Component Storage cleanup and
reorg. I put all unsorted parts into a big bin called "Unsorted Parts".
When people return components, please dump them into the "Unsorted
Parts" bin, if you don't want to sort them into their correct bins. Then
at least we won't have junk all over the floor. Great system, right?

Except, some inconsiderate or lazy or disrespectful or oblivious or
malevolent person just dumped a bunch of parts onto the floor, and left
the mess there. This does NOT make me feel like putting my time and
effort into Phase 3 (reorganizing the drawers). Why should i bother?

Is it "oppressive" to expect people to pick up their own messes? I think
it's oppressive to the whole community when one person makes a mess and
leaves it there.

Way back when my request for $10/month for electronic parts was rejected
on the grounds that "you need to organize what we have first", i was
disappointed. But i changed my mind, i agree with that now. Users SHOULD
keep the place organized before expecting NB to fork over money for
supplies.

However, this is a quandary: Due to nb's unwillingness to require
training on tools and supplies, it will be impossible for anyone to
comply with the "organize what we have first" stipulation. Certain
people will continue to disrespect the commons.

Sure would be nice for this hackerspace to support hacking, with
required training and cleanup-hours. Why not? When a person
cleans/organizes a space, they're less inclined to mess it up.

PS, I agree with Al, when people violate the space, they forfeit their
"ask before shooting" option. That said, if the dude in the photo is who
i think, he's is a very sweet, harmless, tripped-out person. i think NB
forfeits its option to be "stern" with people for sleeping, when NB
allows it to continue-- it's entrapment-- "sure, cmon in, bring your
luggage, hang out for months on end while doing nothing.... hey, no
sleeping, GTFO!" That said, sure would be cool if this hackerspace
devoted half as much time talking about hacking tools and materials as
they spend talking about sleepers. Sleeping people don't stop me from
hacking, but broken tools and disorganized supplies sure do.