[Noisebridge-discuss] why would hackers come to noisebridge?

Will Sargent will.sargent at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 07:26:31 UTC 2014

> If how you categorize the state of Noisebrridge is true then it is a
> problem. And it needs to be dealt with. By getting rid of the people doing
> it. No one should be harassed while they are here.  But I have a feeling
> that the numbers have been run through the grapevine and exaggerated.  I
> don't see Noisebridge as a place where people fear for their lives and
> bodily integrity.  That is so far away from what actually goes on in the
> space.  Furthermore that narrative keeps people away from the space.  It is
> damaging and needs to stop.  Don't stretch the truth and paint a false
> picture of danger, harassment, and misogyny to would be Noisebridgers.
>  It's just not the case.

Alright, let's just ignore everything you said about women.  Let's just
ignore it completely, and focus on the idea that you think Noisebridge is a
safe place.  For ANYONE.

I really think Mala said it best, over eight(!) months ago:

I think pretty much that Noisebridge would die tomorrow if we to take the
extreme action of telling people who are all about the injecting, or the
unzipping, or the nazi tattooing,  and asked them never to come back. It's
almost certain to me that people to inject or unzip or white power
tattoo-wield, are the lifeblood of any hackerspace.

What I mean to say here is: WHAT THE FUCK? WHAT THE LIVING, FUCKING FUCK
FUCK THE FUCK?

Are you people so *INSANE* that you think that ANY OF THIS is acceptable
behaviour ANYWHERE?

Followed by Mala ragequitting.  He didn't quit just because he heard some
rumors of "what actually goes on in the space" or got taken in by "the
narrative."  It's just not a credible argument.

Noisebridge is and has been, even before the Oogles found it, best
described as "sketchy as fuck" on a good day.  It only took me two goes at
the roulette wheel that is an NB visit before a guy dressed in nothing but
surgical scrubs showed up and started sniffing people and babbling about
the four corners of the universe, and that was in 2011.  There's been
people with stolen credit cards offering to buy pizza for everyone in the
space.  There's been rats.  Methheads.  There's been people sleeping on the
elevator, even getting stuck in the walls.  This isn't normal or safe
behavior, and it's gone on for years, without end.  The fact that you seem
to think that this is about "kicking out the people doing it" misses the
point that there is and has been an endless supply of "people doing it" and
as soon as you kick some old ones out, you're not solving the problem --
you're just making room for some new ones to come in.

You don't need to point to any one particular group of people and say that
because they feel bad, the rest of Noisebridge has to be dragged through
unnecessary ritual of penance.  Noisebridge looks sketchy as fuck to any
random person coming off the street, and you don't need to be a woman, a
child, a midget or a human centipede to notice that and not want to be
there.

Will.

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 11:33 PM, LinkReincarnate <linkreincarnate at gmail.com