[Noisebridge-discuss] Trimmed off the board list

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 20:13:27 UTC 2014

Thanks for bringing this up, Ari. I haven't explored the concepts behind
this too much on-list, but I will take a little time to now.

When existing in a sexist society, we are all grounded in sexist
brainwashing.  I don't think that Al is necessarily intentionally sexist,

But his behavior furthers my belief that we must not simply seek to brand
creepy creepers with a scarlet C and consider the problem solved. 'Ending'
sexism is far more complex than that. Deconstructing problems that are
embedded in the social matrix from whence we all spring necessitates
examining the ways that they are embedded in each of us.

He has called me confused, and Naomi angry.

This is not a way to have a productive discussion that furthers the cause
of equality among the sexes, from a context of a society which paints women
with legitimate concerns as confused and angry.

Is it possible for women to be legitimately confused and angry? Absolutely.
Is it legitimate for someone with whom they disagree to dismiss their
concerns using this language? Well I don't think it furthers the cause of
equality. If anyone has a goal of reducing sexism they must look within
themselves first and outside second. Confused and angry are to hysterical
as thug is to n*****r. (Ref. Richard Sherman debacle, more information
available upon request)

If you want I can share some anecdotes of times when I have been
unintentionally sexist in running a construction crew. The realizations
that those experiences led me to fifteen years ago are a deeply embedded
part of my world understanding to this day.

And why yes, I do think fifteen years of deep examination of my own
unintended and internalized sexism gives me a solid platform from which to
ignore anyone who tells me I am confused simply because I disagree with
them.

I will actually take a moment to say here that Praveen is an example of a
tech dude who makes lots of efforts to support women n queers in his work.
I suppose he's not a writer, which is a shame, since I think he's less
likely to code sexism into his work because he is actively, regularly, and
publicly engaged in self-examination around these issues, and makes clear
and visible efforts to own his mistakes.

What a concept.

R.