[Noisebridge-discuss] why would hackers come to noisebridge?

Jake jake at spaz.org
Wed Mar 5 23:07:32 UTC 2014

well, you're doing more to fix the infrastructure than I have lately, but
that is not the kind of problems i'm talking about.

my complaint is that the culture of noisebridge has become so
uninteresting and unrelated to hacking that it is bordering on irrelavent.
The fact that you are volunteering your time to maintain the internet at a
homeless shelter is quaint, but it doesn't change the fact that most
hackers don't want to go there anymore.

there are two categories of reasons why a hacker would want to go to
noisebridge:

1> other hackers are there, and people they can relate to and share
interesting conversation with, or just be around while working on projects
of their own.  People are there experimenting on things, hardware software
and other, and one might learn something or teach something or make new
friends with similar interests.

2> there is a "safe space" with technical infrastructure.  This means that
people who refuse to be HIGHLY accountable for problematic behavior are
simply not permitted to be present (a much higher standard than we have
now).  Oh and lets not forget at least one usable bathroom with a decent
toilet seat and toilet paper.

This also means that the technical infrastructure is in place and usable.
For software people this means the internet works and there are outlets,
clean places to sit (with decent posture, not fall-in couches) and tables
for laptops and room to work with others.

For hardware this means that tools are more than just the bottom of the
barrel (try finding a pair of scissors or a phillips screwdriver) and that
there are actually nice things (a soldering iron with a temperature
control instead of $2 china disposable irons), AND more advanced tools are
available such as microcontroller programmers, blank microcontrollers, and
other electronic hardware for raw material.

Noisebridge used to have a great collection of microcontrollers and
programmers and breadboards and jumper wires and advanced electronic
tools, but all of that stuff was REPEATEDLY taken down from the top shelf
and scattered into the e-waste piles, and then thrown away.  Yes, our
microcontroller and programmer collection has made its way to the trash.

categories 1 and 2 are related;  if a hackerspace has one without the
other, hackers still may not decide to go.  Certainly I think both are
equally important.  I also feel that at this time, and for too long,
noisebridge has not had either.

P.S. please notice that ONE OF THE THINGS YOU CAN DO TO HELP IS TO GO TO
NOISEBRIDGE MORE OFTEN.

-jake