[Noisebridge-discuss] catching up with "what's wrong with discussing things at the Tuesday meeting"

Dana dana-lists at sonic.net
Thu Mar 27 06:03:26 UTC 2014

Scaling and inability to manage priorities, drama, interpersonal
conflict, social problems are the issue. I'm not sure majority voting,
more exclusive membership will do much to fix that.

Naomi's Community Working Group idea is excellent and the type of
solution the board can move forward to make a positive change at
Noisebridge, off-load pressure from  meetings.

Proceed slowly, iterate when needed.

Some other (well worn) ideas that I suspect have more community support
than what has been enacted:

* Make Noisebridge open as often and widely possible, but reinforce the
front gate and close it when no one is willing to be responsible for the
space or host folks.

* Gently nudge the consensus process. (Consensus -n. Or Consensus with
supermajority fallback, which was enthusiastically received when
presented)

* Basic fair use / house rules / community guidelines (whatever they are
called)

* Encourage $40/$80 dues to sustain the space, but maintain
accommodation for those who contribute to the community but cannot
afford.

* Emergency collection or appropriation of membership funds fix
equipment. Noisebridge cannot function as a hackerspace without things
like a working sewing machine or soldering irons.