[Noisebridge-discuss] All I want is 51% :)

Dana dana-lists at sonic.net
Sat Mar 29 02:50:53 UTC 2014

> The people who tend to block "for no reason", or to try to prolong an
> antisocial activity they're already doing (like sleeping at the
> space), they do so because they have nothing to lose.
>
> At its core, Consensus is a functionality constructed around the
> concept that there's shame in blocking for no reason, or for appearing
> to be intransigent.

I think there must be a compromise position: consensus process, but a
check on abusive blocking -- majority or super-majority fallback, 90%
consensus, consensus-n, responsibilities or limits with blocks, or
perhaps something else entirely. A process that allows time for wider
discussion and compromise on important matters, but that doesn't allow
an individual or handful to hold the space hostage indefinitely.

(And with any luck a Community Working Group can resolve some situations
before they even rise to the level of a meeting)

- dana