[Noisebridge-discuss] on allowing anonymous editing on the wiki

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Sun May 18 18:39:11 UTC 2014

On Friday, after learning that our Events listing had been vandalized
enough to prevent the CNC mill event from "sticking" long enough for
anyone to read it, I took the unilateral action of protecting the
front page, Vision page, and Category:Events page with editing
restricted to "new and unregistered users" only.

Annoyance was registered from 2 IP addresses by posting on the Talk
pages for those spots.

Admittedly, I have a lot to learn about wiki culture.  But I am
struggling to understand -- in this era of Tor nodes being used to
shield anonymous edits from punishment /anyway/ -- how it's useful or
necessary to allow "anonymous" -- meaning, IP-identified -- editing to
our pages.

I'm worried that, in our haste to ban IPs, what we're really doing is
creating a blacklist against Tor in general.

I'm looking for some arguments and perspectives on why anonymous
editing of our most important, public-facing pages should or shouldn't
be allowed.

I'm probably going to turn off this protection myself tomorrow, after
Maker Faire Madness brings our most active admins back to attention.

For education on this topic, I am reading this wikipedia page and
considering whether noisebridge.net fits the same constraints as
wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Kaiwen1/Vote_to_prohibit_anonymous_edits

Thanks,
Naomi