[Noisebridge-discuss] Announcements on discuss?

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Wed May 14 06:59:41 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 09, 2014 at 09:19:44AM -0700, Jeffrey Carl Faden wrote:
> Is there anyone who's subscribed to Noisebridge-discuss who ISN'T
> subscribed to Noisebridge-announce?

There are 1500 addresses on -announce, 1100 on -discuss.  450 are on
both.  640 are only on discuss. 1000 are only on announce.

(All numbers rounded to 2 significant figures.)

This method does not take into account systems like gmail's
user+token at gmail.com technique to get better filtering, these will be
multi-counted.

I suspect a lot of gmail (and other) users filter -discuss into a folder
but get -announce more prominently (inbox or whatever).  (At least I
hope that's what happens...)

> I ask because I don't want to bother
> people with my twice-weekly class announcements, but it's probably not a
> big deal since I assume the Mailman software is smart enough to only send
> it out once... but I'm not sure. (Do people receive my class announcements
> twice? Thrice?)

Alas, mailman is not smart enough to figure this out.  Those
longsuffering folks who are on both -announce and -discuss are well-used
to their delete key, I suspect.

> https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Hosting_an_Event - This page seems to suggest
> that you should send your class announcements to both lists, but I'm not
> 100% sure why.

I probably wrote that text long long ago.  The idea was that discussion
could happen on the -discuss list in response to class announcements