[Noisebridge-discuss] Raspberry Pi project

Torrie Fischer tdfischer at hackerbots.net
Fri Nov 14 18:09:56 UTC 2014

For a prototype, yeah, using an RPI would be the sweet spot.

If you want to build hardware that is dedicated to just SD to external
harddrive transfer and just getting started in hardware, you probably don't
want to jump in head-first with building a board with full embedded linux on
it. You'd be able to make the thing super cheap with less overhead than full
linux with:

* Some microcontroller
* An SD card socket
* SATA socket
* Implementing SATA and MMC either through another chip or implementing
directly on the microcontroller.

After that you'll stare longingly at the OMAP 5912 and get caught with the bug
of embedded electronics engineering.

Here's some teaser links to get you moving:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/pls/simplified_specs/part1_410.pdf
http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/spru765a/spru765a.pdf