[Noisebridge-discuss] Show your cool projects at YBCA!

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 22 00:40:24 UTC 2014

I just spoke with the organizer of Open City / Art City at YBCA, which is Saturday, 4-October.

They asked me to have a Noisebridge table there, and I agreed.

We'll get a large table as part of "DiscoTech", with a lot of AC outlets, and anyone who wants to can show off their cool project there.  The project can be any kind of tech or art or craft.  I'll bring a bunch of LEDs and batteries and magnets for making Throwies, as well as some simple kits for learning to solder.  If someone wants to bring a 3D printer to show off, that'd be cool.  If someone wants to bring a painting, or wearable item, that would be cool.  Whatever you think would be cool -- would be cool!

The event is from 11am to 3pm on Saturday 4-Oct.  We can start setup at 10am.

Please email me if you're interested.

Here's more info that I was sent:

I am excited to get in touch with you on behalf of YBCA and the Market
Street Prototyping Festival Team! We are currently in the process of
planning a DiscoTech event on Saturday, October 4th (11:00am-3:00pm) at
the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts as part of the Open City / Art City
Festival<http://ybca.org/open-city-art-city>. We would love to give
Noisebridge the chance to be represented at this event, and to play an
active role in it!

A "DiscoTech" (Discovering Technology) is a community-based,
community-organized, multimedia workshop and fair. At a DiscoTech,
participants learn more about the impacts and possibilities of
technology, and take part in fun, interactive and media-based
workshops. DiscoTech workshops are designed to demystify technology and
create a space where we can inform and engage our community. Our goal
for this DiscoTech is to provide participants an opportunity to learn
new skills and form creative collaborations, which will inspire future
projects for the Market Street Prototyping
Festival<http://marketstreetprototyping.org/> in April 2015, where up
to 50 artists will be granted $2,000 toward a project of their own
design!

We'd be honored if you or other members of Noisebridge would be willing
to host a table/booth as a "Station Manager" for this DiscoTech
event. A Station is similar to a table at a science fair - each station
focuses on a unique drop-in activity that can be easily shared with
anyone, helping to demystify a technology, fabrication technique, or
urban prototype. You'd also be welcome to showcase art or prototypes as
a part of your station! It would be inspiring for attendees to be able
to see a successful end product, in addition to the activity that you'd
be presenting.

Best,

Mitch.