[Noisebridge-discuss] Reflow soldering / Hardware Classes at NB (interest check)

Zach R organicunity at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 24 23:30:08 UTC 2015

Hi Phillip (and NBers):
I've got a full reflow station at home I've been using to fix GPUs and other stuff.  I could teach you this among other things (though I'm not sure your specific project lends itself towards reflow).
     I have been trying to gauge interest for a hardware class for a few weeks now.  I think my email keeps bouncing because I haven't heard from anyone.  All I need is a message from a few people saying they'd show up if I taught a class (thinking monday evenings with Mitch are a good time).  Below is a forward of my last email.  Also, feel free to check out my website at: freewebs.com/vgmods

-----------------------
Hi Henry (and everyone else),
 I actually taught a class for the reboot that covers a lot of this
stuff.  I specialize in hardware (NOT code, heh) and have been doing
professional technician work and hardware hacks for nearly 12 years
now.  The class I taught before was a big success and I've been trying
to gauge interest and availability for doing another one.  I could do next Monday at 6pm, would that work for people?  The
 idea is to have an intermediate class that takes the skills people
learn from Mitch and others to apply them to more projects.  Here are
some topics we could work with:* DIY
soundsystems: Intro to everything about making a soundsystem from
scratch.  opamps, preamps, gainclone amps, classic AB setups, newer
class D systems, speaker physics, crossovers (passive and active) and
speaker frequency info.  This would be for people that are interested in
 having a soundsystem on their bike or making a DIY/Hifi one for home*
 Basic electronics components introduction: crash course on resistors,
capacitors (ceramic, electrolytic, etc), diodes, fuses (glass, pico),
transistors, SMD v. thru hole, etc. etc. *
 Video hacking: learning about encoding/decoding/transcoding video
formats and what they all are: composite, s video, component, vga, hdmi-
 upscanning, downscanning, etc.learn to build your own RGB encoder.*
 Laptop / desktop repair: taking apart and repairing all sorts of
computer stuff.  Could do basics on RAM, HDDs, etc or more advanced like
 GPU reflow/ taking apart those MACs.-Zach