[Noisebridge-discuss] FCC part 15 rules

Matt Stone matthew.d.stone at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 16:40:21 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd at gmail.com> wrote:

> The FCC requires certification for the entire product, including
> antenna and assembly. It's not just the module.

I understand this.  Modules can be pre-certified, and if you use a
pre-certified module in your product (and follow its application notes)
your certification time and costs are much smaller AFAIK.

> They've not cracked down on a lot of small maker projects that don't
> do this, mostly because those maker projects aren't being idiots by
> blatantly flaunting the rules.

I'm not so sure about this.  I think boards meant for development are
exempt, and I'm trying to find these rules in writing.