[Noisebridge-discuss] [sudo-discuss] SOIC-14 SOT-8 surface mounting reflow oven?

Jake jake at spaz.org
Fri Jul 10 23:07:37 UTC 2015

you can solder parts like that with an ordinary soldering iron, i can show
you how.  It's not hard.  Do you have a PC board made yet?

I'm assuming you have two or three chips per board.  If you have like a
dozen chips per board you might prefer to do it with stencils, which you
can cut from transparent folder covers (thesis binder cover) with a laser
cutter.  Then once you have the solder paste in place, you put the chips
on with tweezers and rest the board on a hotplate for 60 seconds.

the other option is to dispense the solder paste with a 3d printer, like
this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgXtRDVvhdU

-jake