[Noisebridge-discuss] MongoDB Office Hours

Praveen Sinha dmhomee at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 05:09:55 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 8:24 PM, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > We usually announce on Twitter that we’ll be available at the venue and
> > typically expect about 10 to 12 people to drop in on average. Anyone with
> > questions about MongoDB are welcome. I’d like to start the first "office
> > hours” Thursday the 23rd, from 4-6 PM.  Do you feel that Noisebridge is
> an
> > appropriate please to host these small meetups?
> >

> I think that it's doocratic in the spirit of Noisebridge. You'll need
> to chec the schedule for room availability of Turing or Church before
> booking your room by editing the wiki.

I vehemently disagree  -- MongoDB is a for profit company that would
otherwise pay top dollar to have real estate to run where it can get
mindshare for other engineers.   While I support noisebridge to support our
own community members to launch their for profit projects (for example,
mitch altman pitching his electronics), it's frankly because of companies
like MongoDB getting a free ride from the city that not only is
Noisebridge's rent going up, but everyone in the neighborhood getting
kicked out as well.

Noisebridge it  /community/ space - so I really have ask, what concrete
value does MongoDB add to this community?   Why not give Microsoft or Apple
free space to develop mindshare in our community?

We may need cash, and once again our non-profit status does not allow us to
have in-kind donations.  But, if you really want to play ball with these
companies, we better make our benefit very tangible and make it *a lot*.
MongoDB would otherwise pay thousands if not tens of thousands to have a
deal somewhere else in the city.  We are a premium spot for it, and we
should make it such that even the poorest and most unconnected of us are
able to benefit from it.